For more information go to www.chinesedietarywisdom.co.uk
The General Principles of Healthy Eating According To Traditional Chinese Medicine
In Chinese Medicine it is not only what we eat that is important, but also when and how we eat.
The best diet for YOU is dependent on many factors (lifestyle, constitution, metabolism, strength of digestive system), and differs widely from person to person.
The following information is meant as a general guide to healthy eating. Always consult a healthcare professional before making significant changes to your diet.
Enjoying food and having a good relationship with food is of the utmost importance. Try to remain mindful of what, when and how you eat. The best food is home-grown, home-cooked with love, and enjoyed around a table in good company!
A: When We Eat:
- Breakfast Like a King, Lunch Like a Prince and Dine Like a Pauper.
- Avoid Eating Late At Night.
- If You Are Eating, Just Eat.
- Stay Relaxed While You Are Eating.
- The Stomach Likes Regularity.
- Take Time to Digest.
B: How We Eat:
- Don’t Drown Your Food.
- Don’t Chill Your Stomach.
- The Stomach Has No Teeth – Chew Food Well.
- Avoid Overeating.
- Listen To Your Own Body – Eat Mindfully
- Make Ethically and Environmentally Responsible Food Choices.
C: What We Eat:
- Choose Fresh, Local, Good Quality Food with Strong Qi/Vital Energy.
- Eat Appropriate Proportions – 30-50% vegetables, 10-30% protein and fats, 30-40% carbs.
- Eat a Balanced Diet/Avoid Extremes.
- Avoid Over-Consuming Any One Food.
- Variety Is The Spice Of Life.
- Avoid Unnecessary Additives.
- Choose Good Quality Oils and the Best Meat You Can Afford.
- Drink Plenty of Water.
- Use lots of digestives – herbs, pickles and natural probiotics.